Friday, 7 June 2013

My first of the classic Cairngorm hill-runs

 The view to Braeriach from running up Meall a'Bhuachaille and Creagan Gorm.

 

How could it feel this easy? Surely I was floating?

I certainly didn't expect that it would feel so forgiving after only one other hill-run in a three week period. Some precious days,  running uphill feels plain-sailing and benign, effortless almost? But it never happens when I think it will.

So that three week period between runs was admittedly spent being active on the mountains and coast of Skye almost every day, walking or climbing. Even so it never matters how much of other kinds of exercise I'm doing, I always expect hill-running to feel hard after a chunk of time like that between runs.


Yesterday's hill-run.

Meall a'Bhuachaille is a first for me, as it is the first Corbett I've ever run up. Despite the approach up through the native pine forest being about as beautiful as they get,  it wasn't distracting me from the fact that I wasn't feeling on great form…the gradual but constant uphill in hot sunshine taking it out of me only a few minutes from my car.

But then it happened as I began up the much steeper Eastern slopes of Meall a'Bhuachaille, and everything became easy. Would it be odd to say the effort seemed to actually decrease with height-gain?

The summit appeared more quickly than I'd hoped, and it took no time at all to continue down and over the adjacent top as an spontaneous extension of my planned run. All the time the higher Cairngorm summits look close enough to touch. What would it feel like to "float' up one of those?

James

No comments:

Post a Comment