Monday, 6 May 2013

First few days in Trotternish

  
The extraordinary Trotternish coast.

What was the most unusual thing about my life in Glencoe? Perhaps the fact that every day for years my immediate surroundings were some of the most magnificent anywhere.

Needless to say one result of this is that it probably takes far more for new landscapes to astonish me on first impressions than it once did….but 5 days exploring Trotternish has made my jaw drop.


Galta Beag sea stack.

 Meall Tuath, Rubha Hunish

 The Old Man of Storr - 165ft feet high...

Snow and rime ice near the summit of The Storr

At dawn on Saturday I went for a run up Sron Vourlinn, one of the tops of the mighty Quirang. I've run in some amazing places but this is definitely the most unusual. Up through a prehistoric landscape, slimy cliffs of chaos and madness that could be straight from "The Lost World"…and but once on the tops, all of a sudden it felt like I was running along a sea-cliff.

Getting wet feet...in the subterranean Iron Age structure at Kilvaxter


The Quirang, an extraordinary place to go for a hill-run.

 The coast North of Flodigarry.

"The Cathedral" and The Old Man

This is what has grabbed me immediately about Trotternish, the fact that such bizarre and unique mountains exist within a tiny distance of some of Britain's most crazy and impressive coastal landforms. It is quite a thing, to be stood looking down on huge sea-stacks on one side, but mountain cliffs that look like they must surely still contain live dinosaurs on the other.

Lots of snow still on the Cuillin

 
 The landscape of The Storr

The cliffs of Meall Deas.

It feels odd in a way to think just how focused on The Cuillin I've nearly always been before on my visits here. I've only been here 6 days, but to me Skye already feels twice the island it did before.

James

No comments:

Post a Comment