Wednesday, 18 August 2010

It's that time of year again!


James and Castor, originally uploaded by Glencoemountaineer.

Last year I didn't manage to get out to the Alps, but 2007 and 2008 were brilliant seasons for my brother and I. It has been my wish this summer to do some kind of a short trip, to keep my finger in the Alpine pie as it were: two missed seasons in a row would not do!

The opportunity has come up, and on Monday I'm sharing a lift out to Switzerland. We are aiming for Arolla. The plan is to have a look at some of the classic 3000ers at the head of the valley. It is not going to be an ambitious trip; I haven't climbed in the Alps for two years, and have done little hard climbing at all for months now, so I will be perfectly content with some nice easy glacier routes.

After our week of mountains, I will be getting the notebooks out and going into intense research mode. There's a lot of first-hand research I need to do, both in the Arolla area and Grindelwald. Only when I have completed this vital research will I be able to finally finish my novel and make a decent start on the other one.

I'll see you when I get back, hopefully on the 7th of September. Shortly after that time, all being well, the countdown to the Scottish season should commence.

2 comments:

  1. Have a fantastic time Alex. I will see you back in the Coe when your back!

    ReplyDelete