Thursday, 26 August 2010

The Forcan Ridge (Posted by James)

The Forcan Ridge from near the summit of The Saddle


The Forcan Ridge


The mountain ridges of Scotland have definitely been my "theme" this summer.


I had intended to do yet another attempt on the Three Brothers of Kintail yesterday, after failing three times previously to get them done. I'd been turned around by pouring rain the first time, deep powder snow the second, and had crashed my car on the third attempt.


Mid way along


After a large spot appeared overnight in an uncomfortable place on my right foot, I decided to take the hint and not even bother trying with The Three Brothers, so I headed towards The Forcan Ridge of The Saddle in Glen Shiel instead.


It is one of the most striking ridge lines in the Highlands for sure. It struck me as being rather like a shorter but spikier version of the Aonach Eagach in Glencoe, but with perhaps even more potential for taking more direct, more difficult lines.


Difficulties can be bypassed, but the true line is very narrow.


At its narrowest it is a true knife edge. I was hit by several heavy rain showers whilst on the ridge, making the rock very slippery. None the less I decided to take the most direct line to make it more interesting, and was not disappointed.

A slight hint of autumn on the hillsides.


After several false summits I reached the top as the clouds cleared. Looking down there was a definite feel of autumn in the air, a slight brown colouring over all the hillsides.


With high pressure forecast for next week, perhaps I'll get my 'grand finale' to the summer season? Fingers crossed.


The summit of The Saddle.

No comments:

Post a Comment