Thursday, 5 November 2009

Ben Macdui

Today I was on Ben Macdui. As I walked I could tell that the Northern Corries, and Fiacaill Ridge, were substantially stripped by yesterday's sun. However, on the plateau things were wintry indeed, and above 1000m I observed accumulations of consolidated snow, a lot of rime ice, even small pockets of windslab. Conditions on the summit were very cold although by late morning there was once again thawing going on at high levels.

It's set to freeze hard again tonight. This process is rapidly consolidating what snow there is, but unfortunately I doubt any climbs are currently in condition in the area. For winter walking, however, it is superb.

I'm back in Glencoe tomorrow, when I will post photos and plan adventures for the weekend...

No comments:

Post a Comment